Article <dCF*nIzOz@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<dCF*nIzOz@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

From: Theo <theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk>
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Re: OT Do high-functioning flip phones need data plan?
Date: 04 Jul 2024 09:49:59 +0100 (BST)

micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote:
> Okay, thanks, I won't buy that one, but my question still remains.  Do
> flip phones with internet functions require buying a data plan?

Not a 'plan' as such but they need the carrier to support mobile data, yes.

(it seems this phone doesn't support wifi, so all internet traffic would use
mobile data)

> Are there especially cheap data plans for phones like the one above (not
> the one above but a modern flip phone without the objection you point
> out.)   A lot of flip phones are sold by specific commpanies that market
> to old people, iiuc. Consumer Cellular maybe, or maybe Cricket. Do
> companies like that include data in their low-cost plans?

The Internet function on that is likely so limited that it may be hard to
use a large amount of data through it.  You may find there's a tariff with
per-MB pricing that allows you to use the odd MB here and there, rather than
paying for N GB per month.

I couldn't comment whether such things exist in the US.

Theo