Article <dcbdbeb169d20d23279be3552fa5dab140f94683@i2pn2.org>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<dcbdbeb169d20d23279be3552fa5dab140f94683@i2pn2.org>

From: Richard Damon <richard@damon-family.org>
Newsgroups: sci.logic,comp.ai.philosophy
Subject: Re: Correcting the AI hallucination of LLM systems
Date: Sat, 7 Sep 2024 09:18:24 -0400

On 9/7/24 8:49 AM, olcott wrote:
> On 9/6/2024 6:41 PM, Richard Damon wrote:

>>> The fundamental architectural overview of all Prolog implementations
>>> is the same True(x) means X is derived by applying Rules (AKA truth
>>> preserving operations) to Facts.
>>
>> But Prolog can't even handle full first order logic, only basic
>> propositions. The way you keep falling back to it shows that your
>> understanding of Logic is very limited.
>
> The architecture Prolog implementations can be extended to
> an arbitrary number of simultaneous orders of logic, like
> type theory or a knowledge ontology inheritance hierarchy.
>
> The only thing that were are taking from Prolog is the notion of
> Facts and Rules and true means expression X is only true on L when
> X is derived from Facts in L by applying Rules.
>
> Facts apply to formal language and natural language and are
> stipulated to be true. Here is what Haskell Curry calls them:
> "an elementary theorem is an elementary statement which is true."
> https://www.liarparadox.org/Haskell_Curry_45.pdf
>
> Rules apply to natural language and are a sequence of truth
> preserving operations.
>

>>> That is the way that all expressions X of language L are determined
>>> to be true in L on the basis of the connection from X in L by truth
>>> preserving operations to the semantic meaning of X in L.
>>
>> Right, but the connection might be infinite in length.
>>

> That would not be true in L.

Of course it would be, that is the DEFINITION.

This seems to be a core blind spot to yourself, which just shows your
ignorance.

Infinite chains establishing true is a needed part to allow unrestricted
universal qualification.

The truth of the statement "For all n in the Natural Numbers, f(n) > 0",
might only be able to be shown to be true by examining f(n) at every
Natural Number, all infinite number of them, but such a statement, by
the rules of Mathematics, must either be True or False.

> ?- LP = not(true(LP)).
> LP = not(true(LP)).
> ?- unify_with_occurs_check(LP, not(true(LP))).
> false. // indicates infinite evaluation sequence

Which is just a non-sequitur, which seems to be the natural form of your
logic.

>>> {Linguistic truth} is the philosophical foundation of truth
>>> in math and logic, AKA relations between finite strings.
>>>

>> Which you can't seem to explain how it differs from the classical
>> semantic truth created by the (possibly infinite) chain of logical
>> steps from the fundamental truth-makers of the system.
>
> The key difference is that all expressions that were
> previously undecidable become rejected as not truth-bearers
> in L. The key benefit of this is that Tarski Undefinability
> is refuted enabling LLM systems to be able to detect their
> own falsehoods thus getting rid of AI hallucination.

You don't seem to understand what you are saying, to paraphrase a famous
quote, your lips are flapping, but nothing intelligent is coming out.

Trying to restrict "truth" to just what is knowable doesn't make your
system more powerful, but extremely less.

> We certainly can never have reliable artificial general
> intelligence (AGI) when an AI system has no way to tell a
> lie from the truth.

So? If *WE* can't alway tell if a statement is true or not, because we
are missing data about it, why do you think an AI could determine it?