Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<dn8a2jdba0bh3ibur0j7cksoj1s2fh5ef2@4ax.com>

From: John Larkin <jjSNIPlarkin@highNONOlandtechnology.com>
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: Re: Laser Mouse
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2024 07:38:39 -0700

On Sat, 20 Apr 2024 19:07:42 -0700, Jeff Liebermann <jeffl@cruzio.com>
wrote:

>On Tue, 16 Apr 2024 12:06:19 -0700, john larkin <jl@650pot.com> wrote:
>
>>If you have an Ikea desk and your LED optical mouse doesn't work right
>>(something about the optics of the varnish) this should fix it:
>>
>>https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08CRZ85DZ
>>
>>It was really annoying to be tweaking a PCB layout and having the
>>cursor wander around, or get stuck.
>
>I think that's called "hunting".  This might help explain what's
>happening:
>
>"Optical vs Laser Mouse"
><https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/optical-vs-laser-mouse-explanation/#dt-heading-comparison-optimal-surfaces>
>
>"...both methods use the irregularities of a surface to keep track of
>the peripheral’s position. But a laser can go deeper into the surface
>texture. This provides more information for the CMOS sensor and
>processor inside the mouse to juggle and hand over to the parent PC."
>
>"This makes laser-based mice better for glass tables and
>highly-lacquered surfaces..."
>
>"The problem with laser-based mice is that they can be too accurate,
>picking up useless information such as the unseen hills and valleys of
>a surface. This can be troublesome when moving at slower speeds,
>causing on-screen cursor "jitter," or what’s better known as
>acceleration."
>
>I've done a little tinkering with both types of mice.  I used a
>drawing program to draw a 1 pixel wide line.  The optical mouse drew a
>fairly "sharp" edged line.  The laser mouse drew a tiny sawtooth
>waveform (jitter).  It can be cleaned up with averaging and damping,
>but that increased response time, which was deemed highly undesirable
>by the gamers in attendance.  It was also possible to see building,
>motor, and machinery mechanical vibrations along the line.  That
>disappeared for both types of mice when I used a rubber backed mouse
>pad or installed rubber "carpet protectors" under the desk legs.
>
>No advice.  Just try a few different mice and use whatever works best.

I don't freehand draw lines as such, but I'm sure some people do.
Schematic entry and PCB layout make straight lines that are quantized
to a grid, or move parts and traces on the grid, and the LED mouse on
the Ikea desk made it hard to do that.

I was talking yesterday to Mo about drawing, in a cafe with cool
watercolors of city scenes on the walls. She can draw. She said "you
draw too" and I noted that I only do it with straight lines on a
rectangular grid. Well, rarely, a circle.