Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<dq8l0jhbaah8p5ernr39vbkprcg8cvcgob@4ax.com>

From: legg <legg@nospam.magma.ca>
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair
Subject: Re: Favourite Test Equipment
Date: Mon, 01 Apr 2024 08:20:41 -0400

On Sun, 31 Mar 2024 18:41:18 +0100, Cursitor Doom <cd@notformail.com>
wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>I'm starting to get a bit fed up with having my test equipment blow up
>just when it's needed. This is the drawback with vintage gear; if it's
>not used frequently then it can go *bang* the next time you switch it
>on. It makes for good practice in repairing stuff, but wastes a lot of
>time which could be better spent doing other things.
>I think it's time I modernised my test gear. I was just wondering if
>anyone has any recommendations they can share. Is there a particular
>piece of test equipment you couldn't live without? Something you're
>particularly impressed with? I'd be interested to know so I can
>perhaps acquire said item and thereby reduce the number of explosions
>I experience.
>
>Thanks,
>
>CD.

If you only use it on weekends, you'll probably continue to have
problems - even if it's only remembering how the equipment is
supposed to work.

You'll find that it's connectors, batteries, heaters, indicators,
software and personal safety equipment that wear out most frequently.
If your test gear includes any of these, maintain them regularly to
avoid disappointment.

If you find that you are missing something that you need, address
THAT issue.

RL