Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<e06n3jhca0sd8p4up1h73adko1bco7o0sr@4ax.com>

From: Andrew <andrew@spam.net>
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Re: Google's "Find My Debvice Network"
Date: Wed, 29 May 2024 20:22:38 -0000 (UTC)

Andrew wrote on Wed, 29 May 2024 19:47:10 -0000 (UTC) :

> Hence, since I'm not sure I understand your question, may I ask you...
>
>    *Isn't the way to opt out simply to not opt in?*

Ah, I see you're asking about a brand new feature, based on what both Andy
& Frank apprised Joerg of... <https://i.postimg.cc/25C1Jppb/findmy.jpg>

<https://9to5google.com/guides/find-my-device/>
<https://9to5google.com/2024/04/03/android-find-my-device-network-live-early/>
<https://support.google.com/android/answer/14796936?&p=find_offline_devices&rd=1#finding_offline_devices>

Note my "Google Play Services" <com.google.android.gms> is currently
below the beta version (v24.12.14) said to contain the new features.
 Version 23.33.16 (190400-560149061) (233316044)

Let's see what this new thing is all about...

 "The Find My Device network piggybacks off of all Android phones
  with Google Play Services to help users find lost items..."

 "In the latest beta version of Google Play Services, v24.12.14,
  a new Find your offline devices is appearing in the Settings
  menu for some users."

 "This leads to another page with options to find devices without
  the network, with the network in high-traffic areas, and with
  the network all of the time. Users can also turn the feature
  off entirely. By default, the option is turned on & to all areas."

 "Google's Find My Device network has been slow to come to all
  Android devices, but if you buy a supported tracker, it will be
  activated during the initial setup phase on your device."

 "You can check if you have the network on your device. Open the
  Find Device app, tap on your profile picture, and then tap
  Find My Device settings. From there, you'll know if you have
  the network live if you see Find your offline devices and
  the menu it brings"

 "If you don't yet have the network, be sure to accept any app
  or system updates. Google is rolling this out as a server-side
  update, so you shouldn't need any other updates, but it
  generally helps to be on the latest available version."

 "Android devices participating in the Find My Device network
  use Bluetooth to scan for nearby items. If they detect your items,
  they securely send the location where they detected the items
  to Find My Device. Your Android device does the same to help
  others find their lost items when it detects them nearby."

 "You can control how your Android device participates in the
  network at any time by visiting Find your offline devices
  in the Find My Device settings.