Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<ecgf4j12bsu4narn36efqeooj3uvsbugl8@4ax.com>

From: Joe Gwinn <joegwinn@comcast.net>
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: Re: smart people doing stupid things
Date: Fri, 17 May 2024 16:55:57 -0400

On Fri, 17 May 2024 13:14:30 -0700, John Larkin
<jjSNIPlarkin@highNONOlandtechnology.com> wrote:

>On Fri, 17 May 2024 15:36:55 -0400 (EDT), Martin Rid
><martin_riddle@verison.net> wrote:
>
>>John Larkin <jjSNIPlarkin@highNONOlandtechnology.com> Wrote in
>> message:r
>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Peima-Uw7wSee graph at 9:50 in.I see this a lot, engineers wanting to do complex stuff because it'samusing to them, when simple common-sense things would work and bedone.
>>
>>My current project requires iec62304  and it is amusing .
>>
>>Cheers
>
>Yikes. What does it cost to buy the standard? Does it reference other
>standards?

It's 345 Swiss franks (USD 380).  Probably cites many things, so you
may need a bunch of these expensive standards.

It documents the now obsolete waterfall model of software development,
at great length, for medical devices.

..<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEC_62304>

I've had to follow this approach (but not this standard), and it
didn't go well, because it didn't deal with practical constraints at
all.  The electronic-design parallel would be a process that requires
that a transistor with very specific properties exist and be
available.  But in the real world, we have to use the transistors that
are available, even if they are not perfect - make what you want from
what you can get.

The solution was to design from the middle out, and when it all
settled down, document as if it were developed from the top down.

Joe Gwinn