Article <ezmdnT_y-YoQn6D7nZ2dnZfqnPudnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<ezmdnT_y-YoQn6D7nZ2dnZfqnPudnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

Subject: Re: Every D(D) simulated by H presents non-halting behavior to H ###
Newsgroups: comp.theory
From: Mike Terry <news.dead.person.stones@darjeeling.plus.com>
Date: Thu, 9 May 2024 18:06:20 +0100

On 09/05/2024 13:37, joes wrote:
> Am Thu, 09 May 2024 04:05:14 +0100 schrieb Mike Terry:
>
>> I'll respond with my assessment on this, provided you agree in advance
>> that you won't quote me elsewhere [in other threads/forums] in support
>> of your claims.  Not that I can really enforce this, but I think for the
>> most part you are basically honest, and would try to keep an agreement
>> you made on this, if you chose to make one.
>>
>> You understand the reason I ask this:  you are unfortunately completely
>> unable to judge what other people say to you, and as soon as you
>> (mis)interpret the smallest thing as supporting some part of your
>> argument you will (mis)quote "Mike Terry [or whoever] agrees that
>> [something I did not agree to, or some literal quote taken out of
>> context, which misrepresents my actual opinion]."
>>
>> If I persuade you of anything, of course you can present those views /as
>> your own words/, but none of that "Mike Terry said..." or "an expert
>> (lol) has agreed that..." and so on.  Those are attempts to silence
>> opposition through (mistaken) appeals to authority and I don't want to
>> be involved in that.
>>
>> Of course you can quote me freely within this thread where it will be in
>> context :)
>>
>> Mike.
>
> Hello Mike, are you one of the „experts” Olcott quotes? I would be
> interested in what your original concession regarding the code was.
> Have a nice day

I'm not one of the absent experts (quoted as being computer scientist professors or the like) PO
likes to quote in his appeals to authority.  I've only ever dealt with PO on these forums, and when
he quotes me he mentions me by name, so you'd know it was me specifically, unlike all his remote
expert supporters.  :)

PO quotes anybody who ever says something that he can interpret as supporting anything he says,
however obvious that might be.  For example, he quotes me as confirming that a simulator, while
calculating the steps of a computation, can observe the internal state of that computation as it
progresses, monitoring for execution patterns etc..  Well, you'd have to wonder how he thinks a
simulator works if he needs someone to tell him this! :)  Also of course nobody here had ever
disagreed with this, but PO believed he was engaged in some kind of long running battle regarding
this over a period of years!

Mike.