Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<fji28jtu204no6o2mdejaattraomstpcsi@4ax.com>

From: Cursitor Doom <cd@notformail.com>
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: Re: Omega
Date: Sun, 30 Jun 2024 13:13:31 +0100

On Sun, 30 Jun 2024 11:57:21 +0100, piglet <erichpwagner@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>On 30/06/2024 8:44 am, Cursitor Doom wrote:
>> Gentlemen,
>>
>> For more decades than I care to remember, I've been using formulae
>> such as Xc= 1/2pifL, Xl=2pifC, Fo=1/2pisqrtLC and such like without
>> even giving a thought as to how omega gets involved in so many aspects
>> of RF.  BTW, that's a lower-case, small omega meaning
>> 2*pi*the-frequency-of-interest rather than the large Omega which is
>> already reserved for Ohms. How does it keep cropping up? What's so
>> special about the constant 6.283 and from what is it derived?
>> Just curious...
>

>Watch this (your question is addressed at 2:07)
>
><https://youtu.be/Vv2W5vJFqFo?si=eX3ZONUzzpNNxGtg>
>
>piglet

Thanks, Erich. I did wonder if radians had something to do with it.
However, knowing that 2 pi radians = 360 degrees or a full wavelength
doesn't help me understand why this figure multiplied by the frequency
multiplied by the inductance gives us the reactance of a coil. Small
omega therefore equals one second's worth of signal and I don't get
how multipying that by the inductance amounts to the reactance!