Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<fr9f4jtdqtoge7jivttb7h0kd5om1dio4k@4ax.com>

From: John Larkin <jjSNIPlarkin@highNONOlandtechnology.com>
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: Re: ac138
Date: Fri, 17 May 2024 11:59:47 -0700

On Fri, 17 May 2024 10:58:28 -0700, Don Y
<blockedofcourse@foo.invalid> wrote:

>On 5/17/2024 8:15 AM, Hul Tytus wrote:
>> Anyone know of an ic similar to the hc/ac138/238 (16 pin,
>> 1 input to 8 output multiplexer) but with outputs of the
>> open collector/drain style that can handle 2 amps at
>> 12 volts?
>
>The '138 is a decoder (demultiplexer).  What you are looking
>for is more likely considered a hammer driver.  The two
>functions tend not to coexist; if you wanted a low-side
>driver that could handle 8 loads, you would likely be looking
>to drive any *combination* of those loads... an "octal
>driver".
>
>You can probably find something automotive that would give you
>8 such outputs in a package (though 8@2A would likely be
>pushing the power dissipation of a normal package) -- but it
>would likely have an I2C or SPI interface, requiring you
>to do the "decoding"/selection elsewhere.

There are lots of SPI power drivers, like TPIC6595, but not 6 pins.
Somebody makes a higher-current 4-channel part.

Some logic chip could drive a power buffer, like ULN2003. But 8 loads
at 2 amps each is extreme. Discrete fets make more sense at these
currents.

What's the load?