Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<fvbl1j1q8vrt90mpgdmlcopeb92iuigbg7@4ax.com>

From: John Larkin <jjSNIPlarkin@highNONOlandtechnology.com>
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: Re: lithium explosion
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2024 09:35:10 -0700

On Sat, 13 Apr 2024 16:14:07 +0100, liz@poppyrecords.invalid.invalid
(Liz Tuddenham) wrote:

>Bill Sloman <bill.sloman@ieee.org> wrote:

>> > It's not really a very good selling point.  "Oh, by the way, this model
>> > has the latest upgrade and tells you when it is going to explode, so you
>> > can get out of the way".
>>
>> You don't seem to have been paying attention. If you deal with the
>> warning by discharging the battery, and making it safe, it won't explode.
>

>Who it the 'you' in that sentence?  Do you mean the average user,  in
>which case this is a hopeless scenario as most users of batteries
>wouldn't have a clue.
>
>Until recently batteries have been inherently safe: unless you did
>something stupid they were unlikely to give any trouble.  You are now
>supporting a type of battery that is inherently unsafe and will catch
>fire or explode unless the user takes some positive action.  Even if the
>user delegates this action to an automated system there is no guarantee
>that the action will be taken every time it is needed.
>
>'Safety' that depends on taking a positive action to prevent a disaster
>is not safe at all.

References say that a tiny separator defect spreads radially at
centimeters per second. Any somehow-sensed defect will explode in
flames in well under a minute, from the bad cell into the whole pack.
See Youtube examples... smoke to explosion in seconds.

If I heard an alarm from a lithium battery pack, I wouldn't try to fix
it, I'd run in the opposite direction. What automated system could
discharge an 80 KWH battery pack in a few seconds? Or even 1 KWH?

And a defect sensor would have to constantly snoop every cell of a
pack. A typical Tesla might have 7000 cells.