Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<gtv72jtnpdqfvd6nirgr72napud0ibcd0p@4ax.com>

From: John Larkin <jjSNIPlarkin@highNONOlandtechnology.com>
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: Re: spread-spectrum model
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2024 10:57:17 -0700

On Sat, 20 Apr 2024 10:34:46 -0400, legg <legg@nospam.magma.ca> wrote:

>On Thu, 18 Apr 2024 12:14:04 -0700, John Larkin
><jjSNIPlarkin@highNONOlandtechnology.com> wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 18 Apr 2024 13:16:04 -0400, Joe Gwinn <joegwinn@comcast.net>
>>wrote:

>>>I'd check for cross-correlation as well, so no ganging up in systems
>>>using multiple channels in some signal path.
>>
>>When my engineers get too fussy about stuff like that, I remind them
>>"it's just a power supply."
>
>Noise at the local level is best correlated, as it is more
>predictable - you avoid low-frequency beat frequencies in the
>local regulators - which can and will show up in a detector's
>BW and in the regulators' outputs.

But...but... it's just a power supply!

Presumably uncorrelated spread-spectrum will make wideband noise at an
output, not a beat.

>A master clock, phase shifted for various local users, can be dithered
>for the system (box), which is the actual, final radiator.

Our box has a 50 MHz clock that is bussed to all the plugin modules,
and it can be locked to other boxes or to a 10 MHz reference, so we
can't usefully dither that. I guess each module could have its own
VCO, but that would mess up synchronizing modules, and complicate
things. Spread-spectrum sounds easier.

>Your engineers can get REAL fussy, if the system's non-compliant
>way past the development's due date.

Eventually, some giant customer may want CE stickers, so we'll do the
easier things now, to improve our chances of passing an EMI test. A
bit of VHDL in the FPGAs would be easy.