Article <h280ej9ft0dsbtso1q57dlvk08coqmdeqi@4ax.com>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<h280ej9ft0dsbtso1q57dlvk08coqmdeqi@4ax.com>

From: Catrike Ryder <Soloman@old.bikers.org>
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Subject: Re: BOLO pervert cyclist
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2024 06:54:14 -0400
References: <o5ordjhom5hp8v67g4i4oard8179631r91@4ax.com> <pcoDO.488782$v0Jd.455216@fx06.ams4> <n45sdjt7c89t201vsba04q4p6nc8stc683@4ax.com> <vblcmn$23nv7$8@dont-email.me> <02jtdj968o694vnh6ah51b0tvmdn82d2na@4ax.com> <1nEDO.435880$VK2e.312511@fx01.ams4> <mb6udj58hnhjie04rjfg532eu4vkd48jo3@4ax.com> <vbnkov$2hi4h$2@dont-email.me> <b3pudj93app3turcp5tod6kg5ue8ra5glq@4ax.com> <vbo8hr$2nteo$3@dont-email.me> <qgtvdjl0r6m2kvf5nol46mrhii7qq0t2qt@4ax.com> <VAUDO.581098$EVn.179563@fx04.ams4>

On Tue, 10 Sep 2024 09:47:33 GMT, Roger Merriman <roger@sarlet.com>
wrote:

>Catrike Ryder <Soloman@old.bikers.org> wrote:
>> On Mon, 9 Sep 2024 21:48:43 -0400, Frank Krygowski
>> <frkrygow@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>>> 250 nominal. Given things like Google Maps, I can be quite sure of the
>>> distance I'll be traveling.
>>
>> Google maps don't make your trips any shorter.
>>
>> With Google Maps, if I'm going somewhere in particular, I generally
>> look for less time on the road, rather than less miles, and I don't
>> need to be sure of the distance. Oft times, we just go for a ride,
>> stop for a meal at some down home, mom and pop restaurant, and maybe
>> take a walk along a strip of seashore, or on a path through a wooded
>> park.
>>
>> On our drive back and forth to Colorado a few years ago, we got
>> enthralled with the Ozarks, and wasted several hours driving around
>> and up and down on narrow windy two lane roads. You talk about
>> experiencing new vistas on your bicycle, but you can't really see very
>> much while traveling on a bicycle. It's nice to have a vehicle that
>> you don't have to concern yourself with where there is going to be
>> some charging stations. Gas stations are almost always right around
>> the corner or at the next exit, and almost always with an open lane.
>>
>>> And for longer trips I charge to 100%, which
>>> has given me a predicted range as high as 294 miles in decent weather.
>>
>> Oh yes, I'll bet an EV presents special problems in the winter. A
>> heavier car can be a good thing for going through snow, but a
>> hindrance on ice and packed snow, and using the defroster and heater
>> are of no concern.
>>
>Unless you have a 1st generation Nissan leaf it’s not an issue, EV range
>will drop in cold weather but not massively so don’t believe click bate
>articles!

I'm pretty sure the batteries don't work as well, and then there's the
heater. You can drive without the air conditioner, even in Florida. I
like the windows open unless I'm driving over 40 MPH. I suppose one
can drive in 15 degree weather without the heater on, but I wouldn't
wan to do it.

>> Using things like windshield wipers, headlights, heating and air
>> conditioning doesn't concern me at all. Stop and go traffic can be a
>> bother, but it never makes me worry about running out of gas. An
>> accident ahead on a limited access highway that stops or slows things
>> down to a crawl can be much more than a bother, but again, it's quick
>> and easy to keep the tank full enough for that not to be an issue.
>
>Stop go traffic or busy traffic a EV will cope with fine  as unlike a ICE
>car if stop it doesn’t use motor power that’s why EV range is worse on the
>highways vs around town.

Most stop and go traffic isn't stopped long enough to recover what
it'll cost to start up.

Starting and stopping takes more energy (fuel) than when cruising
along. That's true with either one. If you read about driving
efficiently, you'l learn not to waste energy by hard braking. You lose
by wasting momentum and having a standing start instead of the rolling
start because of your gradual slowdown. Even with an EV, it pays if
you don't brake hard...  and yeah, I know that with some EV's braking
can charge the battery.

--
C'est bon
Soloman