Article <haqdneZd5-puaKf7nZ2dnZfqnPudnZ2d@giganews.com>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<haqdneZd5-puaKf7nZ2dnZfqnPudnZ2d@giganews.com>

Subject: Re: Threads across programming languages
Newsgroups: comp.lang.c++,comp.lang.c
 <v0ogum$1rc5n$1@dont-email.me> <v0ovvl$1ur12$4@dont-email.me>
 <v0p06i$1uq6q$5@dont-email.me>
 <v0shti$2vrco$2@raubtier-asyl.eternal-september.org>
 <v0spsh$31ds4$3@dont-email.me>
 <v0stic$325kv$3@raubtier-asyl.eternal-september.org>
 <v0svtn$32o8h$1@dont-email.me>
 <v0t091$32qj6$1@raubtier-asyl.eternal-september.org>
 <v0u90h$3c1r5$4@dont-email.me> <v0v7rf$3lu04$1@dont-email.me>
 <v0v8u3$3m7rm$1@dont-email.me> <v10t0v$20cs$1@dont-email.me>
 <v116q4$4at1$1@dont-email.me> <v119bu$4pfa$1@dont-email.me>
 <v11hvg$aajl$1@dont-email.me> <CuWdneEdN-eZoaj7nZ2dnZfqnPWdnZ2d@giganews.com>
From: Ross Finlayson <ross.a.finlayson@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 7 May 2024 20:48:13 -0700

On 05/03/2024 12:33 PM, Ross Finlayson wrote:
> On 05/02/2024 07:25 PM, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>> On Thu, 2 May 2024 16:58:54 -0700, Chris M. Thomasson wrote:
>>
>>> The CPU can become a bottleneck.
>>
>> Then that becomes an entirely different situation from what we’re
>> discussing.
>>
>>> So, there is no way to take advantage of multiple threads on Python?
>>
>> There is, but the current scheme has limitations in CPU-intensive
>> situations. They’re working on a fix, without turning it into a memory
>> hog
>> like Java.
>>

> Yeah, it can be that way. "How are things?" "Yesterday
> I implemented an entire web service on the cloud."
> "Oh, really, how'd that go?" "I opened Initializer and
> added a starter and copied how to pop the queue
> and put the queue name in a file, then I added it
> to git and it went into the CICD pipeline and now
> it's in Prod." "Great." "It only even needs 1 gigabyte of RAM."
>
> Surely when it's like, "the only time this framework app
> uses 1 gigabyte of RAM is at boot time it totally templates
> itself into a gigabyte of RAM", then the guy's like "see,
> I'm totally not using RAM." Yet it's like, "well, yeah,
> but the meter for the RAM you're not using is on".
>

> At least then for re-routines, and if it helps it's quite
> an idee fixe at this point, it's clear as described they can
> be implemented in most languages with or without
> threads as with just a minimum of threads and thread
> locals and exception handling being well-defined and
> the most usual sort of procedural call stack, then,
> get this: taking plain usual code, giving it a ton of
> threads, making every invocation one of these things,
> and automatically parallelizing the code automatically
> according to the flow-graph dependencies declared
> in the synchronous, blocking, routine.
>
> Now _that's_ ridiculous.
>
> Though, in C++ with this sort of approach, the only
> sort of "unusable" object is a future<result<T, E>>
> as it were, or "the ubiquitous type" sort of thing
> then as to overload its access as to invoke "get()",
> if there was a sort of way to overload the "." and "->"
> operators, and have them most simply be compiled
> as invoke "." and "->". Does std::identity work this way?

I read there's some C++ proposals to make for overloading
the "." operator in C++ 20, then though I'd still wonder
how to essentially make a wrapper class that dispatches all
its accesses to, ..., functions, or as with regards
to run-time-type-identification, with regards to
making a future<result<T, E>> that is indistinguishable
to auto or is a correct type according to the various
rvalues the assignable lvalue, that otherwise passes
everything through "." as through ".get()." and as
through "->" as through "->get().", as for something
like an "experimental:hidden_future<T, E>" as then
for an "experimental:unusable<T>" for re-routines,
unobtrusively otherwise in the language.

In C it would sort of be according to whatever
defines the struct or context or what's usually
otherwise a class, for "idiomatic_boxed" then
as for having "include offsets" to these types,
then as with regards to C language support as
via setjmp/longjmp I suppose or other notions
that effect stack-unwinding as with handler blocks.

For re-routines, ....

It's like when you're writing a react app, and
it's just a JavaScript that includes a file, so
if you make enough of a model of browser-dom,
not rendering and the whole bit but just browser-dom,
then implement, "the algorithm", with the usual idea
of a unidirectional single-page app, then it can
have its units tests all figured out from just pointing
to a different include file with otherwise matching
the interface. Then there were added fibers and hooks
and this kind of thing, if at all complicating
the, "algorithm", all courtesy browser-dom, and UI events,
and my favorite, form events. I don't have one of those
but there's something to be said that just implementing
in-memory what effects is its world