Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<hfhcej9vlqdlpef8cadk6g74lguj5nldpj@4ax.com>

From: john larkin <JL@gct.com>
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: Re: another hint of quantum consciousness
Date: Sat, 14 Sep 2024 19:39:20 -0700

On Sat, 14 Sep 2024 21:18:44 +0200, Jeroen Belleman
<jeroen@nospam.please> wrote:

>On 9/14/24 20:08, john larkin wrote:
>> On Sat, 14 Sep 2024 19:36:35 +0200, Jeroen Belleman
>> <jeroen@nospam.please> wrote:

>>> I paraphrase: "Since we don't know how it works, it must be quantum".
>>
>> Or, more conventionally, "It can't be quantum because QM only works at
>> liquid helium temperatures."
>>
>>> That's it then: Quantum-something is merely religion. The god of the
>>> gaps.
>>>
>>> There's a lot of quantum nonsense about. This is just one example.
>>>

>> Well, explain how we can name one image out of maybe a million stored
>> images, in a fraction of a second.
>>

>Yes, that's the typical comeback of religious believers.

I don't recall invoking religion here, or calling myself a believer. I
was asking about image storage and high-speed matching. It's even more
amazing when you consider all the optical distortions and viewing
angles and changes in illumination and motion effects in real life; we
don't match nice flat photos.

How are our collections of images stored?

When some people encounter an unwelcome idea, they call the people
that they disagree with bible bangers, and assume they have won the
argument.

>I don't know how it works. Let's find out. AI seems to be
>getting there, and it requires no quantum theory. Just loads
>of data and a lot of matrix math.

You are determined to exclude the possibility that are brains use QM.

Given that most all physics and chemistry is fundamentally quantum
mechanical, why would evolution refuse to allow cells to use quantum
effects?

Most people don't really believe in evolution.