Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<i42d2jp2sjgjr3v0r8vqpa184lvrg84lfv@4ax.com>

From: John Larkin <jjSNIPlarkin@highNONOlandtechnology.com>
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: Re: power supply idea
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2024 09:04:21 -0700

On Mon, 22 Apr 2024 16:32:00 +0100, John R Walliker
<jrwalliker@gmail.com> wrote:

>On 22/04/2024 16:09, Bill Sloman wrote:

>>> Is your "spread spectrum" dodad supposed to mitigate EMI?
>>
>> It smears it out over a range of frequencies, and makes it look better
>> on the screen - no big frequency spikes, but many more smaller ones.
>>
>> "Mitigate" depends on how the hash messes up your particular system.
>>

>Yes, but the only one that most designers care about is the EMC
>receiver at the compliance test lab.
>
>John

It won't reduce ripple or fast switching spikes, which is what my
users might care about. It would improve the peaks on a spectum
analyzer, which is what regulators (government regulators, not voltage
regulators) care about.

Actually, the DC power that one sees on an airplane or in a car is
nastier than anything I can reasonably make, even on purpose. So my
concern is stability and not blowing anything up.