Article <jt029jd56nfhh5ioqibhagdv2jjd9ro88j@4ax.com>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<jt029jd56nfhh5ioqibhagdv2jjd9ro88j@4ax.com>

From: Catrike Ryder <Soloman@old.bikers.org>
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Subject: Re: New Bike Path
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2024 06:38:03 -0400

On Fri, 12 Jul 2024 11:50:50 +0200, Rolf Mantel
<news@hartig-mantel.de> wrote:

>Am 11.07.2024 um 20:05 schrieb Roger Merriman:
>> Rolf Mantel <news@hartig-mantel.de> wrote:

>>> Parallel and separated to a "limited access highway" is safe for a
>>> bi-directional bike facility.
>>>
>>> Parallel to a highway with with property access every 50 yards is
>>> extremely dangerous for a bi-directional bike facility (especially when
>>> having to cross popular driveways for car parks or drive-in restaurants).
>>>
>> As ever never say never though certainly the one I have most experience of,
>> works fine has various side roads and so as you’d expect for a high street.
>>
>> And really isn’t a problem or lessen’s the segregated nature of it, my only
>> “complaint” is the stop start nature of it but that’s the nature of high
>> streets, and being spoiled by the Embankment and stuff like my commute
>> where you can bypass a lot of junctions and so can just crack on.
>
>Simple example:
><https://maps.app.goo.gl/BGWVX2amE4CwLM3R9>
>
>The bike route follows parallel to the railway line; at the bottom of
>the picture it crosses the main road via traffic lights.
>The bike route is used by 4,000 cyclists on a normal day.
>
>At the place where you see the van leaving the fuel station, I have
>twice witnessed exactly the same accident: a car from the roundabout
>wanted to enter the fuel station and did not look for cyclists coming
>"the wrong direction" hit a cyclist at low speed.
>
>One week after I explained to my then 10-year old daughter the dangers
>of this bike route, we saw this: the cyclist 5m ahead of us was rammed
>and fell over; luckily she did not seem to be hurt.
>
>Rolf

Although it's more often unavoidable, I've learned from bitter
experience, that trusting motor vehicle drivers to refrain from
hitting me should be avoided whenever possible and reasonable. Too
often they are chattering or texting on their phone, checking their
GPS, watching or tending to their pets or children, changing the radio
station, or just too heavily involved with the music. Of course, they
also might be driving under the influence of ???