Article <jwv5xuwwuqe.fsf-monnier+comp.arch@gnu.org>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<jwv5xuwwuqe.fsf-monnier+comp.arch@gnu.org>

From: Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>
Newsgroups: comp.arch
Subject: Re: Unicode in strings
Date: Wed, 29 May 2024 10:44:21 -0400
	<jwvy17ty8v7.fsf-monnier+comp.arch@gnu.org>
	<2024May29.085955@mips.complang.tuwien.ac.at>

> Confirmed.  So Emacs Lisp has a codepoint-oriented interface and then
> needs to compensate for that elsewhere.  This does not indicate that a
> codepoint-oriented interface is a good idea, rather the opposite.

Note that the "round to the next character boundary" is actually
generalized to non-Unicode concepts: you can mark a chunk of text as
being "intangible" or make it invisible and the "round up" will
correspondingly move to the next boundary to avoid the cursor being in
the middle of an invisible or intangible chunk of text.

I'm not sure the codepoint-oriented API is the best option, but it's not
completely clear what *is* the best option.  You mention a byte-oriented
API and you might be right that it's a better option, but in the case of
Emacs that's what we used in Emacs-20.1 but it worked really poorly
because of backward compatibility issues.  I think if we started from
scratch now (i.e. without having to contend with backward compatibility,
and with a better understanding of Unicode (which barely existed back
then)) it might work better, indeed, but that's not been an option 🙁

        Stefan