Article <l4u9iuF9dpeU2@mid.individual.net>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<l4u9iuF9dpeU2@mid.individual.net>

From: Jolly Roger <jollyroger@pobox.com>
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Subject: Re: [NEWS] Apple releases M3 MacBook Air models
Date: 7 Mar 2024 16:50:38 GMT

On 2024-03-07, Alrescha <news@alrescha.com> wrote:
> Jolly Roger <jollyroger@pobox.com> wrote:
>
>> iCloud isn't an alternate storage location the way you are
>> suggesting.
>
> The default setting isn’t the only setting.  You can have a device
> with 128 GB of storage and 2 TB of data in iCloud if that’s what you
> want.

Not arbitrarily, no.

For instance, with iCloud Photos you can store more data in your iCloud
account than will fit on a given device. You can enabled Optimized
Storage to make more space available on your device by storing
low-resolution copies of the remaining photos on it, where
full-resolution photos are downloaded as needed.

But you can't upload 500 GB of photos to iCloud and not have them on any
of your devices because iCloud isn't an alternate generic cloud storage
solution you can use in that manner. And that's because it's primary
purpose is data synchronization between all of your devices.

JR