Article <l4ue97F9kdnU2@mid.individual.net>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<l4ue97F9kdnU2@mid.individual.net>

From: rbowman <bowman@montana.com>
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: Ideas are not like candy.
Date: 7 Mar 2024 18:10:47 GMT

On Thu, 7 Mar 2024 11:17:42 -0500, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:

>    Although NT was not an exact clone of Cutler's previous operating
>    systems,
>    DEC engineers almost immediately noticed the internal similarities.

That's always a problem despite the best intentions to do a clean room
implementation. Like they say you can't unsee it. Even something like an
embedded RTOS is going to look a lot like somebody else's.

I'm surprised there aren't more conflicts in fiction and music like the
Google and Oracle suit that made it to the Supremes. Of course most
authors and musicians don't have huge legal departments and deep pockets.

It did take a while for NT to get ironed out. I can't remember the last
time I saw the BSoD but it was a frequent flyer on my 4.0 box.