Article <l4v8geFe36dU1@mid.individual.net>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<l4v8geFe36dU1@mid.individual.net>

From: Jolly Roger <jollyroger@pobox.com>
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Subject: Re: [NEWS] Apple releases M3 MacBook Air models
Date: 8 Mar 2024 01:38:22 GMT

On 2024-03-07, dgb <david@nomail.afraid.org> wrote:
> On 7 Mar 2024 at 23:04:03 GMT, "Jolly Roger" <jollyroger@pobox.com> wrote:

>>> Perhaps you are not aware of changes made to iCloud.
>>>
>>> If you put Documents into iCloud, they are not added to iPhone
>>> and/or iPad.
>>>
>>> See:-
>>> https://i.ibb.co/ZfPsSjg/Screenshot-2024-03-07-at-22-19-10.png
>>
>> No, that's incorrect. iCloud Drive is not a generic cloud file
>> storage service. Things you add to iCloud Drive are made available to
>> all of the Apple devices that are logged in with the same Apple ID.
>
> "Made available to" ......... I accept that. But not installed upon.

I'm not sure what you are here arguing about. When I take a photo on one
device, it is transferred to my other devices. When I add a contact on
one device, it is transferred to my other devices. When I add or change
a calendar event, the same thing happens on my other devices. iCloud is
primarily a synchronization service, but it does other things as well.
You seem to want to argue that because iCloud Drive doesn't always
automatically download changes to each device that somehow means it's
just like any other cloud storage service, but that's simply not the
case. Most data in iCloud is synchronized to all of your devices, and if
you delete something from iCloud Drive it gets deleted everywhere else.
It is *not* a generic cloud storage service.

JR