Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<l53rarF16r4U3@mid.individual.net>

From: Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk>
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Re: Android 11: App polling interval is not 15 minutes minimum?
Date: Sat, 9 Mar 2024 19:24:09 +0000

VanguardLH wrote:

> your e-mail provider supports IMAP IDLE.  That doesn't wait for a
> poll interval to detect new messages are available.

Yes, except I had been finding there were times (e.g. the first 5 tests
I did today which didn't notify, and the one where it did notify, but
only after 6 minutes)

> Alas, many users report IDLE isn't super-reliable.  They get a new
> message in the Inbox on the server, and they don't get notified in
> their client until the next mail poll.

Since I have poll disabled on inbox, I know that if I get notified, it
is from push.

> I don't remember seeing an IMAP IDLE capable client that lets you
> configure when it times out

K9 default IDLE is 24 minutes but can be altered (settings, account,
fetching, advanced)

> Alas, IMAP IDLE only works on the Inbox folder, not on other folders.

I really don't want notifications for spam thanks.

> You should have your e-mail client configured to do polling.  If the
> server supports IDLE, your client can get new messages in the Inbox very
> quickly, but not in other folders.  For the other folders, polling gets
> used.

You can probably use a combination of push on 1st class folders and
polling on 2nd class folders, I don't but it's a potentially useful
concept.

> To what minimum interval can you configure K9 to poll?

15 mins.

> I don't know if it was the Feb 29 update to 6.800 that
> changed to the 15-min min poll interval, or a slightly older version
> that changed the minimum.

Dunno, not been into settings for a while.