Article <l5dr8aFl2ueU3@mid.individual.net>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<l5dr8aFl2ueU3@mid.individual.net>

From: rbowman <bowman@montana.com>
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: This FOSS Thang :-)
Date: 13 Mar 2024 14:24:10 GMT

On Tue, 12 Mar 2024 23:09:37 -0500, Physfitfreak wrote:

> On 3/12/2024 7:35 PM, rbowman wrote:
>> Then came Swing which turned Java into a bloated, slow, piece of crap.
>

> So that's why Java lost popularity.

It's still popular although I wonder what the stats would look like if you
filter out Android developers. It is cross-platform which is why I was
interested but you pay the price in speed. We did a Java app around 2000
that lives on although there was a speed bump when browsers stopped
supporting applets. In public safety you're dealing with a number of
mobile units and bringing them all in so a application can be installed or
updated is a burden. A lot of RFPs started including 'zero footprint'
which is why the new product is a web app.

Tomcat is still used although I cringe at the word. We had an internal bug
reporting system that was done with it. When it stopped working the first
step was to kill the cat which had eaten its way out of house and home.