Article <l61sjdFn16lU1@mid.individual.net>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<l61sjdFn16lU1@mid.individual.net>

From: rbowman <bowman@montana.com>
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: Why Python When There Is Perl?
Date: 21 Mar 2024 04:49:50 GMT

On Wed, 20 Mar 2024 18:20:52 -0400, DFS wrote:

> On 3/20/2024 12:23 AM, rbowman wrote:
>> On Tue, 19 Mar 2024 22:55:03 -0400, DFS wrote:
>>

>>> To run it:
>>>
>>> 1) install Python
>>>
>>> 2) install PyQt 5
>>
>> I've been using PySide6.
>
> Work or play?

Play.  Any work Python was ArcPy and I never had need for a GUI.

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/3.1/arcpy/get-started/what-is-arcpy-.htm

If I were to use it I would have to use PySide6. That goes back to the
original days of Trolltech. We looked at QT as a possible replacement for
the Motif GUIs but it would have taken at least 6 Philadelphia lawyers to
unravel their commercial license.

https://www.pythonguis.com/faq/pyqt5-vs-pyside2/

That's a little dated since it talks about PySide2. There was a lag but
PySide6 is up to speed. The relevant portion, and this applies to other
areas:

"If you are planning to release your software itself under the GPL, or you
are developing software which will not be distributed, the GPL requirement
of PyQt5 is unlikely to be an issue. However, if you plan to distribute
your software without distributing the source you will either need to
purchase a commercial license from Riverbank for PyQt5 or use PySide2.

The LGPL license does not require you to share the source code of your own
applications, even if they are bundled with PySide2. You only need to
ensure that the source code covered by the LGPL is made available,
including modifications you have made to it, if any. In normal use there
will not be any modifications and the standard distributions of PySide2/
Qt5 source code will already cover this for you."

GPL is the kiss of death for anyone developing proprietary software.
Stallman's licensing requires not 6 but 12 Philadelphia lawyers. I've said
it before but if professional programmers don't use it, they are not going
to find bugs that they will report back upstream.