Article <l64616F2m1hU2@mid.individual.net>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<l64616F2m1hU2@mid.individual.net>

From: rbowman <bowman@montana.com>
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: Why Python When There Is Perl?
Date: 22 Mar 2024 01:43:02 GMT

On Thu, 21 Mar 2024 06:31:57 -0000 (UTC), Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

> On 21 Mar 2024 06:29:02 GMT, rbowman wrote:
>
>> I could see the logic and how it worked although my brain kept asking
>> 'why would anyone in their right mind do it this way?'
>
> Try doing it in some more conventional language like Java or C♯, and you
> will soon appreciate some of the wonders of the Lisps.

No, I would not. As I worked through the exercises I was mentally
calculating how I would do it in C. Lisp is very much an acquired taste.
If you want to talk about lexical oddities, there's the 73 stacked up
parens. Vim will match them up but still...  Then there is 'car' and 'cdr'
which iirc were assembler instructions on a computer that was last seen in
an archaeological dig next to a partial brontosaurus skull.

I shouldn't be so snotty. After all I used Forth back in the day and
threaded interpreted languages are a wonder to behold. I met Chuck Moore
at a Forth conference and if you've done that you can understand the
language.

https://colorforth.github.io/bio.html

He learned Lisp and it damaged him for life.