Article <l6bhfrF5jd1U13@mid.individual.net>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<l6bhfrF5jd1U13@mid.individual.net>

From: rbowman <bowman@montana.com>
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: The problem With Windows
Date: 24 Mar 2024 20:41:31 GMT

On Sun, 24 Mar 2024 08:50:57 -0400, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:

> Only to find later that a corporate update or something changed it back.
> So now I have to undo the accidental typing a capital letters a lot :-(.
>
> And they got a white-list of apps you can install. IIRC, gummint IT had
> a huge black-list instead.

Gummint is always entertaining. Our system uses a port mapper that listens
on port 111. It was around Christmas time with the usual number of people
MIA when the DC park police called to report the clients couldn't connect.
Long story short somebody way up in the DoI had pushed out a group policy
that locked up every port except one they used for remote monitoring.

We could add an exception to the firewall that would last about 5 minutes
before the group policy slammed it shut again. It took a day to find
someone in the DC center that could comprehend the problem and even longer
to chase it up the DoI chain to find where the group policy originated
from.