Article <l6p1lkFa7q1U1@mid.individual.net>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<l6p1lkFa7q1U1@mid.individual.net>

From: rbowman <bowman@montana.com>
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: This FOSS Thang :-)
Date: 29 Mar 2024 23:37:24 GMT

On Fri, 29 Mar 2024 16:14:09 -0400, -hh wrote:

> Oh, so what you're trying to claim then is that their invention of a UI
> which mimicked Windows 8 just as Microsoft was launching it was all
> nothing more than a pure coincidence?

Not a coincidence but it was something that was in the air. By 2012
smartphones were becoming prevalent, tablets were starting to replace
netbooks like my old Acer, and touchscreens were starting to appear on
notebooks and even some desktops. Presenting a uniform UX would seem like
a Good Idea. Like a lot of Good Ideas developed in a rarefied atmosphere
it wasn't a sale.

Although they backed out of 8 rapidly they were still trying with UWP.
That wasn't very popular either. WinUI and maybe MAUI are more of the
same.

> There's always the choice to not adopt/buy, which is what a lot of
> mainstream customers did to MS ... and resulted in MS backtracking.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unity_(user_interface)

Unity was more of a different approach to the desktop rather than a Metro
copy but suffered from the same dislike by users.  Computer desktops
aren't the only things that have that problem. How many bands and artists
have moved from what made them popular only to find the listeners didn't
follow? If they're lucky they find new listeners, It's the same with
authors; genre hopping may or may not work.