Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<l7m8vhFmum2U2@mid.individual.net>

From: Trevor Wilson <trevor@rageaudio.com.au>
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair
Subject: Re: Favourite Test Equipment
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2024 11:40:02 +1000

On 1/04/2024 4:41 am, Cursitor Doom wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm starting to get a bit fed up with having my test equipment blow up
> just when it's needed. This is the drawback with vintage gear; if it's
> not used frequently then it can go *bang* the next time you switch it
> on. It makes for good practice in repairing stuff, but wastes a lot of
> time which could be better spent doing other things.
> I think it's time I modernised my test gear. I was just wondering if
> anyone has any recommendations they can share. Is there a particular
> piece of test equipment you couldn't live without? Something you're
> particularly impressed with? I'd be interested to know so I can
> perhaps acquire said item and thereby reduce the number of explosions
> I experience.
>
> Thanks,
>
> CD.

**In my 55 years of servicing, I've only blown up one thing: A Micronta
DMM, which I connected to a laser power supply. I should not have done
it. Clear operator failure. Everything else works just fine. Even my
first multimeter. A Sanwa U-50D my dad gave me on my 14th birthday.
Still works fine. My first DMM. A cheap 'n cheerful SOAR. Works just
fine. My first Fluke meter. A 40 year old Fluke 85. Works fine. I've had
to clean the switch a few times. Otherwise, no problems. Ditto my other
15 or so meters. Same deal with my 'scopes.

I don't know what your problem is. Test equipment, when treated properly
lasts a long time.