Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<l7qu2sFdo59U1@mid.individual.net>

From: Trevor Wilson <trevor@rageaudio.com.au>
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair
Subject: Re: Favourite Test Equipment
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2024 06:04:45 +1000

On 11/04/2024 11:55 pm, Phil Hobbs wrote:
> On 2024-04-10 16:30, Trevor Wilson wrote:
>> On 11/04/2024 3:42 am, Cursitor Doom wrote:

>>> To be fair, these "explosions" are typically capacitors: old, dried
>>> -out electrolytics in test gear that hasn't been used in a long time
>>> go bang when the power's switched on - as do old X2 safety caps. Those
>>> are the chief culprits IME.
>>
>> **Oh, I see. You ignore regular maintenance. That makes sense. I hope
>> no one buys a car from you.
>>

> Whereas all you Ozites are 100% rational reasonable polite beings who
> are always on top of everything, including predicting the exact date
> when an old cap will give up the ghost.
>
> Silly me for forgetting. ;)
>
> Cheers
>
> Phil Hobbs

**The FIRST thing I do, when I acquire a new (second hand) piece of
equipment is to replace all the RIFA caps that are connected across the
mains I find. Then I carefully look for any signs of distress from
electros. After which, I experience no or few problems. Two items I
recently acquired (a Sound Technology 1000A and HP339A) were COMPLETELY
re-built with all new electros, as they are very old products. Most of
the electros measured acceptably well, but some were well below spec
(ESR). They now perform as new (better than new in the case of the
339A). OTOH, my recently acquired Panasonic VP-7721A required nothing
else but a new NiCad back-up battery. Performance was well beyond
specification. No RIFA caps either.

Here is the distortion profile of 1kHz output from the Pana:

https://ibb.co/2yqM1S4

I have no idea why the OP has so many problems with decent test
equipment, as test equipment tends to use superior quality components
when compared to domestic equipment. With the exception of RIFA caps.

And the only product that ever failed when I switched on was a second
hand Tektronix 2267B, I acquired from the Japan a few years back. It
seems that the RIFA caps in the power supply had become accustomed to
the Japanese 100VAC mains and 'chucked a wobbly' when connected to our
Aussie mains supply. Much smoke and more than a little panic from me.
Hence, I now replace ALL RIFA caps on sight.