Article <l7s03iFige6U2@mid.individual.net>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<l7s03iFige6U2@mid.individual.net>

From: Thomas Heger <ttt_heg@web.de>
Newsgroups: sci.physics.relativity
Subject: Re: Galaxies don't fly apart because their entire frame is rotating
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2024 07:45:29 +0200

Am Donnerstag000011, 11.04.2024 um 13:08 schrieb Python:

>>> Hanlon's razor applies, I think.
>>>
>>> And for amusement: noting different delays of quasar fluctuations,
>>> in passing through an Einstein lens, is a practical way
>>> of establishing their cosmological distance,
>>
>> Sure, the delay is known.
>>
>> But how would you remove it?
>>
>> The difference in time is actually HUGE, hence you would need to wait
>> a VERY long time, if you want to know the present position of stars
>> seen a few billion light years away.
>
> *facepalm*
>
> Q. How to know what week day and month day will tomorrow be ?
> A. Wait 24 hours, then look at your phone

You should hit a little harder, because it's not just weaks nor even
years you need to wait.

To measure the position of a star in one billion light years distance
you need to wait a billion years, before you can actually see the light
emitted from that star.

Because that is impossible, we simply don't know to were those stars
went in the meantime.

We know that stars move around in the universe, but cannot tell, to were
they went in the unobserved time of the last billion years.

It is therefore entirely pointless to figure out gravity between
forground and background stars.

It may evetually be possible, to make plausible predictions about their
future fate. But to do so, we would need to know, what cosmologists
actually try to figure out: the influence of gravity by other objects.

>> In the meantime cosmologists explain the positions of stars, which do
>> not belong to the same time.
>
> In the meantime cosmologists are not idiots, they know about physics
> (while you do not).

Well, they are certainly smart enough to stay in they job.

TH