Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<l8pq8nF5cteU1@mid.individual.net>

From: "Peter Heitzer" <peter.heitzer@rz.uni-regensburg.de>
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: Re: Zilog stopping Z80 production
Date: 23 Apr 2024 13:09:43 GMT

Jan Panteltje <alien@comet.invalid> wrote:
>On a sunny day (Tue, 23 Apr 2024 11:23:32 -0000 (UTC)) it happened Dan Purgert
><dan@djph.net> wrote in <slrnv2f6hk.nch.dan@djph.net>:

>>On 2024-04-23, Jan Panteltje wrote:
>>> After 48 years, Zilog is killing the classic standalone Z80
>>> microprocessor chip Z80 powered game consoles, ZX Spectrum, Pac-Man,
>>> and a 1970s PC standard based on CP/M.
>>
>>Yep, just got the EOL notice from Digikey yesterday.  Shame...

>Well, I will get over it
> https://panteltje.nl/panteltje/z80/index.html
>Wrote a disassembler for it once
>and a CP/M clone when I had no CP/M only a Sinclair ZX80, later a ZX81 ..
> https://panteltje.nl/panteltje/z80/index.html
>Build a lot of hardware for my Z80 system:
> https://panteltje.nl/panteltje/z80/system14/diagrams/index.html
>Dumped it all years ago.
>People were still using the disassembler a few years ago it seems.

>Very nice processor.

>I think I had a Z80 simulator on some old Linux PC once?

>But the world keeps changing...
>Not always for the better, more bloat every day..
>If you see Chromium on Raspbery Pi 4 8 GB taking sometimes minutes
>to display a simple text based website...
>cache...

>You could probably use the FPGA Z80 version :-)
> https://opencores.org/projects/a-z80
The most difficult part is to put all into a 40 pin 300 mil package as
a drop in replacement. If all I wanted was a machinery to run Z80 software
my choice wuild be a RP2040 board.
https://github.com/djbottrill/rp2040_z80_emulator

--
Dipl.-Inform(FH) Peter Heitzer, peter.heitzer@rz.uni-regensburg.de