Article <l8r433FbgcmU1@mid.individual.net>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<l8r433FbgcmU1@mid.individual.net>

From: Jolly Roger <jollyroger@pobox.com>
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Subject: Re: Ultra Wide Band?
Date: 24 Apr 2024 01:03:31 GMT

On 2024-04-23, Nick Cine <nickcine@is.invalid> wrote:
> On 22 Apr 2024 22:54:15 GMT, Jolly Roger wrote:
>
>>> Open your eyes this time.
>>
>> Unlike you, my eyes are wide open.
>
> https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/uwb-new-wireless-technology-could-nightmare-privacy-alexander-leschik
> "it is important to be aware of the potential privacy implications of UWB"

"Potential". Show the proof that anyone can track all iPhones in their
vicinity through UWB, please.

> https://medium.com/@orlandonhoward/the-silent-advent-of-uwb-technology-and-its-implications-for-privacy-6114fb2da0d3
> "The proliferation of UWB in cell phones enables scenarios where the
> locations and movements of every person with a UWB device can be precisely
> tracked with UWB sensors mounted in inconspicuous places."

From the same article:

"Apple perceived the privacy threats of its AirTags and implemented
several measures to prevent stalking using the tags. They “have unique
Bluetooth identifiers that frequently rotate to ensure you’re not
tracked from place to place.” Location data and history are also not
stored on the devices. They’re linked to a person’s Apple ID‌ that
no one else can track."

No reason to believe Apple isn't doing the same with all of their
UWB-enabled devices.

> https://freedom-to-tinker.com/2019/12/21/every-move-you-make-ill-be-watching-you-privacy-implications-of-the-apple-u1-chip-and-ultra-wideband/
> "What makes the current generation of UWB chips stand out is that for the
> first time they will be deployed in mobile phones, which for a lot of
> people is an inseparable part of their daily routine. While it is promoted
> by Apple as just another sensor to "Share. Find. Play. More precisely than
> ever," this technology has the power to disrupt existing societal norms.
> Suddenly businesses will be able to track an individual's location within
> their stores down to the centimeter, which gives them the power to track
> which products you look at in real-time. Similar to the debated facial
> recognition technology, UWB localization offers a new capability to capture
> and ultimately profile identities of a user. Essentially, the new chip is a
> marketer's dream in a box. Shops already track your purchases, leading to
> cases like the infamous 2012 case where Target unintentionally divulged a
> teen's pregnancy to her father. When a store has UWB-enabled access points,
> it will be easy to monitor a phone's location indoors and track what you
> considered purchasing in addition to what you actually purchase."

That's a lot of conjecture. Where's the evidence of these claims?

JR