Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<l9391uFi9dqU1@mid.individual.net>

From: rbowman <bowman@montana.com>
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: MS is doomed... any year now
Date: 27 Apr 2024 03:17:20 GMT

On Sat, 27 Apr 2024 01:20:09 -0000 (UTC), Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

> A thrall may be a troll, but I think a shill would be more likely to be
> such. Some shills can get quite shrill when they troll.

https://sites.pitt.edu/~dash/rig.html

She sat her down in the middle of the floor;
beside her sat the son of the house:
they chatted and whispered, their bed preparing --
Thrall and Bond-maid -- the long day through.

9.
Joyous lived they and reared their children.
Thus they called them: Brawler, Cowherd,
Boor and Horsefly, Lewd and Lustful,
Stout and Stumpy, Sluggard, Swarthy,
Lout and Leggy. They fashioned fences,
they dunged the meadows, swine they herded,
goats they tended and turf they dug.

10.
Daughters were there, -- Loggy and Cloggy,
Lumpy-leggy, and Eagle-nose,
Whiner, Bondwoman, Oaken-peggy,
Tatter-coat and the Crane-shanked maid.
Thence are come the generations of thralls.

This is the Olive Bray translation. I don't know how accurate her
translation of the names of Thrall and Thir's children from Old Norse is
but it adds some spice.

"According to a prose preface to the poem Rígsþula, Rig is associated with
-- perhaps another name for -- the god Heimdall. In any event, the god Rig
is an enigma. Although name Rig is mentioned only in the poem Rígsþula, he
was the progenitor of three social classes plus royalty, as related in the
preceding account.
Slaves and servants, the offspring of Thrall.
Freemen and farmers, the offspring of Churl (Karl).
Nobles, the offspring of Earl (Jarl).
Royalty. The final birth described is that of the boy Kon (Konungr), whose
name means "king." It is noteworthy that the name Rig signifies "king" in
Irish. It is, of course, Rig's cohabitation in various settings that gives
rise to all the social classes."

There was no DEI in those days. It was understood that in the natural
world some were born to shovel pig shit.