Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<l9q0r3FoouU1@mid.individual.net>

From: rbowman <bowman@montana.com>
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: p.s.: Linux build speed
Date: 5 May 2024 18:18:12 GMT

On Sun, 5 May 2024 15:21:31 -0000 (UTC), RonB wrote:

> If I remember right, my Fedora 39 installation used btrfs by default. It
> seems to be working fine. (Let me double check that.) ...
>
> Yes, the main partition is btrfs. I'm not smart enough to know the
> difference.

My Fedora 40 is also btfrs for the main but /boot is ext4.  The Ubuntu box
came with Windows 11 so it has /boot/efi which is vfat. The Fedora box is
the old Dell before UEFI was a thing.
https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-us/red_hat_enterprise_linux/6/
html/installation_guide/s2-diskpartrecommend-x86

"The /boot and / (root) partition in Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6.9 can only
use the ext2, ext3, and ext4 (recommended) file systems. You cannot use
any other file system for this partition, such as Btrfs, XFS, or VFAT. "

Interesting. I did the OpenSUSE install as a dual boot with Windows 7. The
symptom was it got as far as grub and went into outer space. I didn't do a
lot of research at the time, just changed to ext4.  Ironically SUSE was
one of the early adopters of reiserfs.

File systems are another one of those things I don't worry about as long
as they work. It's been a while since I've done anything other than point
the installer at the drive and let it do its own thing.