Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<la1j4eF50usU1@mid.individual.net>

From: rbowman <bowman@montana.com>
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: Windows victims: go ahead and pretend you don't want or need the
 greatest PC software available
Date: 8 May 2024 15:13:19 GMT

On Wed, 8 May 2024 08:27:04 -0400, Andrzej Matuch wrote:

> I think the most common complaint of people using Linux CLI or GUI tools
> is that they look dated. I'm not sure why this is such a problem,
> especially if they still manage to get the job done, for free, in the
> same amount of time.

We heard that a lot from a VP who thought the Motif based producted looked
'dated'. When asked what it should look like or what GUI changes would
make it easier to use, crickets. At one point he passed around screen
shots of a competitor's product and I had to look very closely to tell it
wasn't ours but it was 'better'.

A long time ago I did an inventory control system. I learned that the
people doing data entry hardly looked at the screen. I think I could have
put up a dialog saying 'Your pantyhose are on fire!' and the wouldn't
notice. What they did notice was anything that broke the pattern as they
tabbed between boxes and entered the data.