Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<la34l2Fbn7iU7@mid.individual.net>

From: rbowman <bowman@montana.com>
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: cpu-x
Date: 9 May 2024 05:18:27 GMT

On Wed, 08 May 2024 19:35:07 -0400, Joel wrote:

> WSL 2 as interesting as it is technically speaking is like a lot of VM
> schemes, not efficient enough.  If it were really as useful as real
> Linux, I wouldn't have reinstalled Win11 to get it off my machine,
> although it was a good time to refresh my installation anyway.  But I
> had its GUI working, and installed GIMP just to see what running it
> under Win11 would be like.

It has its uses. Rather specialized but we needed a basemap tile server
for trade show demos where a reliable internet connection wasn't
available. The pricing for adequate wifi at trade shows is close to
highway robbery as is almost everything else at a show, Anyway...

https://switch2osm.org/serving-tiles/manually-building-a-tile-
server-20-04-lts/

Nice step-by-step instructions for several Linux flavors. "You wanted to
do it on Windows? Good luck. Tell us how it comes out."

Anyway using WSL on the marketing laptops I was able to set up the tile
server that was used by the Angular brower app running on the Windows side
of the laptop. I thought I might have to use a dedicated Linux box but it
worked out as a self contained package with one less thing to get lost or
damaged on the way to a show.

You can also install Kali on WSL for a handy pen testing setup. Another
use is if you run Docker Desktop. I think you can do it with straight
HyperV but it's a lot happier if it finds a WSL instance.

Microsoft put a lot of work into it and they are not altruists. If you can
corral developers that prefer to work with Linux into doing so on a
Windows machine that all the better. I'll have to look into why MS
recommends WSL for Python web development. I've never used Django, Flask,
or the other Python frameworks so I don't know the nuances.