Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<la5ie6FneglU1@mid.individual.net>

From: rbowman <bowman@montana.com>
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: Find "py.exe" & copy it to "Python" (flat, no extension).
Date: 10 May 2024 03:25:59 GMT

On Thu, 9 May 2024 22:13:05 -0000 (UTC), Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

> On Thu, 9 May 2024 14:46:10 -0400, DFS wrote:
>
>> "we have about 600+ 2012 R2 servers in our environment and they have
>> never let us down"
>
> Really?? Are the newer versions not as good?

2016, 2019, and 2022 are arguably better versions but you underestimate
the reluctance of enterprises to update working systems. It's back to the
argument of 'What I have now is dependable and meets my requirements. Why
would I spend a lot of money on something that isn't going to improve my
life?"  Or in the folksier idiom 'If it ain't broke don't fuck with it.'

I won't mention the state but close to 20 years ago I wrote an interface
to a criminal justice interface that required the data to be converted to
and from EBCDIC. I shudder to think about the back end hardware. Last year
I wrote a new interface that used all that new-fangled stuff like ASCII
and XML (not that XML is cutting edge but one step at a time) that finally
went live last month.

I don't know, maybe they couldn't find card sorters on eBay anymore.

As another example three years ago I had to do an interface to a Zetron 26
system.

https://portal.zetron.com/Portals/0/PDFs/case_studies/2000/005-7226.pdf

That was a hot setup -- in 1991. There was one person at Zetron who was
close to retirement who more or less remembered how the things worked.

In a completely different context the last B-52 was built in 1962. The
USAF thinks they may retire them in 2050 if they can manage to build a
suitable replacement. A lot of the real world has zero interest in the
latest greatest.