Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<la7j0gF2adkU1@mid.individual.net>

From: rbowman <bowman@montana.com>
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: Find "py.exe" & copy it to "Python" (flat, no extension).
Date: 10 May 2024 21:48:01 GMT

On 10 May 2024 20:26:11 GMT, Stéphane CARPENTIER wrote:

> Don't know about it. But when I see javascript, I look away.

That's fine, if you have that option. If you're involved with web
applications it is difficult to avoid. TypeScript is Javascript with
lipstick. Languages like Dart produce Javascript or WebAssembly but wasm
has been hanging fire for years. Even when it works it uses Javascript to
access the DOM.

It's pretty much taken over the front end and is widely used on the back
end.  I was surprised by that survey I linked to that the Python Flask and
Django frameworks were so underrepresented.

> Because it's good: it's the second older high level programming language
> still in use after FORTRAN. With so little usage in the real world, it
> means a lot about its qualities. FORTRAN is still used only because of
> the legacy huge code, which is not the case with LISP.

There is a lot of legacy Fortran but it's still used for new projects. It
isn't your grandfather's Fortran. In looking through some old books I have
I realized the Fortran 77 book is completely out of date. The same could
be said for my copy of 'The C++ Programming Language'.

Another gross generalization -- academic languages don't do well in the
real world. Common Lisp sort of addressed the problem.  Wirth's didactic
languages had their moment when Pascal was extended.

The concepts get adapted but the language itself doesn't. Everybody came
down with lambda envy and many languages tried to roll in aspects of
functional programming.

Not necessarily survival of the fittest, but maybe survival of the useful.
Javascript is way beyond Eich's concept of a glue tool but here we are.