Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<la7ldtF2ibsU4@mid.individual.net>

From: Jolly Roger <jollyroger@pobox.com>
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.ipad
Subject: Re: Apple publicly apologizes for celebrating its destruction of
 the human experience
Date: 10 May 2024 22:29:17 GMT

On 2024-05-10, Chris Schram <chrispam1@me.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 10 May 2024 14:33:50 -0700, Alan wrote:

>>> Given all your statements about Apple come from Apple advertisements,
>>
>> LOL!
>
> Well, now that Arlen has entered the room, I suppose this conversation is
> over. So I guess It's now OK to broaden the discussion, and eventually
> drag it far off-topic.
>
> In an online article commenting on the recent Apple ad, it was hinted that
> videos of various objects being crushed by a hydraulic press has become
> some sort of social media meme, perhaps a logical successor to "Will It
> Blend." Perhaps I lead a sheltered life, but I have not viewed other such
> videos. That would make Apple's ad a humorous (?!) parody of an existing
> meme. I'll bet the committee that dreamed it up had a great laugh.

I mean other companies have made similar commercials for many years.
Strangely, the internet didn't melt down over them. But this is Apple,
so...

> I'm really overthinking this, but the more I overthink it, the concept of
> crushing traditional creativity tools to splinters and goo, before
> compressing them into an iPad, seems not the very best way to advertise
> the iPad's creativity tools.

It's a light-hearted advertisement, and nothing more. People reading too
much into it is exactly how we got here in the first place.

> So Stephen Colbert's parody is a parody of a parody of a social media
> meme. My brain hurts!

I think Social media is nothing without parodies.

JR