Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<la7tbuF3chuU2@mid.individual.net>

From: rbowman <bowman@montana.com>
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: Find "py.exe" & copy it to "Python" (flat, no extension).
Date: 11 May 2024 00:44:47 GMT

On Fri, 10 May 2024 21:52:50 -0000 (UTC), Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

> On 10 May 2024 19:17:39 GMT, rbowman wrote:
>
>> You mean the Wizard book? I worked my way through that one long winter.
>> The concepts were interesting but I didn't think using Scheme for the
>> didactic language added anything.
>
> Did you look at how continuations were used? There is an exercise in the
> book called “nondetermistic Scheme”.

No, my copy was published in 1992 and is the first edition.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/
Structure_and_Interpretation_of_Computer_Programs

lists

Chapter 4: Metalinguistic Abstraction
4.1 The Metacircular Evaluator
4.2 Variations on a Scheme – Lazy Evaluation
4.3 Variations on a Scheme – Nondeterministic Computing
4.4 Logic Programming

mine has

Chapter 4: Metalinguistic Abstraction
4.1 The Metacircular Evaluator
4.2 Variations on a Scheme – Lazy Evaluation
4.3 Packages
4.4 Logic Programming
4.5 Implementing the Query System

Chapter 2 drops the Symbolic Data section. Chapter 5 is reordered but I
think all the discussion is there. The only index hit on continuation is a
half page on 'continuator descriptors',  'next', 'return' and a jump to a
named entry point like a goto in C.

After doing the exercises that winter I had no reason to follow the
development of Scheme so I don't know if 'call-with-current-continuation'
was added or if the authors didn't think it important. It isn't in the
index either.