Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<laci5oFool4U1@mid.individual.net>

From: Jolly Roger <jollyroger@pobox.com>
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.ipad,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Subject: Re: Apple publicly apologizes for celebrating its destruction of
 the human experience
Date: 12 May 2024 19:04:24 GMT
 <v1kf99$3c8l$1@solani.org> <la77k6FknjU2@mid.individual.net>
 <v1m3li$2l3a$1@nnrp.usenet.blueworldhosting.com>
 <v1m3ru$1iura$1@dont-email.me> <v1m6mu$474e$1@solani.org>
 <la7ldtF2ibsU4@mid.individual.net>
 <v1mq6n$1kfe$2@nnrp.usenet.blueworldhosting.com>
 <la8avaF5lsiU2@mid.individual.net>
 <v1o81h$1avu$1@nnrp.usenet.blueworldhosting.com>
 <la9vq4Fd792U3@mid.individual.net>
 <v1oj9j$1lpv$1@nnrp.usenet.blueworldhosting.com>
 <xn0olp6s8yjo17400c@reader443.eternal-september.org>
 <v1qe5p$2nt5h$1@dont-email.me> <v1qhev$6og0$1@solani.org>
 <v1qnj0$2q1er$1@dont-email.me>

On 2024-05-12, Chris <ithinkiam@gmail.com> wrote:
> badgolferman <REMOVETHISbadgolferman@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Chris <ithinkiam@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> No. That would be a huge amount of effort as there have been 14
>>> major versions. Probably the most 2-3 recent are supported.

>>> Nope.

>>> Not sure what you mean here, but iOS 15, 16 and 17 have received
>>> several updates this year. IOS 15 supports back to the iphone 6
>>> which is nearly nine years old.
>>
>> According to the articles Arlen provided, Apple admits to only fully
>> supporting the current software version (17) with security updates.
>
> Did you read the link Andrew/Arlen/whatever shared? Did you draw the
> same conclusion as him?
>
> What he says and what he can show/prove are often very different
> things.
>
>> How are you claiming 15,16, 17 are supported?
>
> Look here: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201222
>
> You can see that two or three have been updated at the same three
> times this year alone: 22nd Jan, 5th Mar, 22nd Mar. Since the release
> of iOS 17, iOS 16 has received eight updates and iOS 15 has received
> three.
>
> That's clear evidence to show that Apple are still maintaining (aka
> supporting) the current and previous two versions of iOS.

Yes, but we're supposed to ignore reality: 67% of devices run iOS 17,
19% run iOS 16, 8% run iOS 15 = 94% of devices are running the three
most recent versions of iOS. As you have shown, Apple is patching iOS 17
through iOS 15. And just like every operating system vendor, Apple
patches known bugs in the most recent releases of its operating systems
first and in older versions later. Naturally this means that if you are
running an older version of an operating system, some bugs may not
be patched as quickly (or at all if it's a really old version). Again,
this isn't exclusive to Apple's operating systems. It's fairly standard
practice in the industry. But badgolferman and his best bud, Arlen,
definitely want to paint it as an Apple-exclusive thing.

JR