Article <lb7l3jFsdo6U1@mid.individual.net>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<lb7l3jFsdo6U1@mid.individual.net>

From: rbowman <bowman@montana.com>
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: Do =?UTF-8?B?TWljcm9zb2Z04oCZcw==?= Copilot+ PCs Require Linux?
Date: 23 May 2024 01:40:04 GMT

On Thu, 23 May 2024 00:26:59 -0000 (UTC), Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

> On 22 May 2024 14:35:51 GMT, rbowman wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 22 May 2024 07:42:14 -0000 (UTC), Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>>
>>> Note one thing: AI Studio requires WSL2 to be installed!
>>
>> Without looking into it I assume it runs in Docker.
>
> No. Microsoft gave up on Docker for Windows a long time ago. On Windows,
> the Linux kernel is virtualized under Hyper-V.

It's a long way around the barn but if you set up Docker Desktop on
Windows it looks for the WSL instance to actually run the container.

> That, too, is something that could go away: just use the KVM facility
> built into Linux to virtualize Windows instead.

We have clients who are fully committed to Windows Server and use Stratus
everRun HA systems. Go poking around and all the shiny Windows VMs are
running on RHEL and KVM. At one time they used Xen but I think the
switchover was a Red Hat decision, not theirs.

https://www.linux.com/news/kvm-or-xen-choosing-virtualization-platform/