Article <lbeutaF1lpiU2@mid.individual.net>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<lbeutaF1lpiU2@mid.individual.net>

From: rbowman <bowman@montana.com>
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: Sale on Visual Studio from Bleeping Computer
Date: 25 May 2024 20:10:18 GMT

On Sat, 25 May 2024 06:43:26 -0000 (UTC), Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

> On 25 May 2024 05:04:28 GMT, rbowman wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 25 May 2024 03:25:11 -0000 (UTC), Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>>
>>> There is the question of why it had to be built on Electron, instead
>>> of using Microsoft’s own Dotnet framework--wasn’t that cross-platform
>>> enough?
>>
>> There are some attempts in the works but you can't build GUIs on Linux
>> with .NET.  Even MAUI omits Linux.
>>
>> That's one area where the various choices bite Linux on the butt.
>
> Seems like it’s actually biting Dotnet on the bum. Microsoft clearly
> prioritizes Linux support over Dotnet.

Not really. .NET Framework is mostly in bug fix mode but .NET is moving
right along. As I said, MS managed to confuse things nicely.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.NET

It fits in nicely with the Linux move.  'dotnet build --arch linux-x64'
will build a Linux package on Windows. Or you could target Windows on a
Linux box. Or arm64 from either.

 The weakness on Linux is creating GUIs. I don't know what shape the GTK#
project is in. There were QTSharp and wx.net (wxWidgets) projects too.

Avalonia might work.  It follows the WPF xaml format. I've never played
with it.