Article <lbroopFds9gU1@mid.individual.net>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<lbroopFds9gU1@mid.individual.net>

From: Athel Cornish-Bowden <me@yahoo.com>
Newsgroups: sci.lang
Subject: Re: Maya Angelou died (28-5-2014)
Date: Thu, 30 May 2024 18:45:13 +0200

On 2024-05-30 12:03:08 +0000, Antonio Marques said:

> Athel Cornish-Bowden <me@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> On 2024-05-29 10:59:23 +0000, Ross Clark said:
>>
>>> African-American writer and activist.
>>
>> African American? She was born in the USA of American parents, lived in
>> the USA, worked in the USA, and died in the USA. She was American. She
>> may have had some ancestors from Africa, but that doesn't make her
>> African. I have very recent ancestors from Ireland (including my
>> mother), but I am not Irish.
>
> And here I was, thinking you came from Kernow.

No. "Cornish" is not a Cornish name: what would be the point of callig
someone Cornish if everyone around is Cornish. The name is much more
common in Devon, just as "Devenish" is more common in Somerset than it
is in Devon.

--
Athel -- French and British, living in Marseilles for 37 years; mainly
in England until 1987.