Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<lbs64nFfcl6U4@mid.individual.net>

From: rbowman <bowman@montana.com>
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: Do =?UTF-8?B?TWljcm9zb2Z04oCZcw==?= Copilot+ PCs Require Linux?
Date: 30 May 2024 20:33:28 GMT

On Thu, 30 May 2024 05:55:26 -0000 (UTC), Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

> Java -- long-winded, and yet curiously lacking in some elementary
> functionality (e.g. unsigned ints, typedefs).

My initial project when I was learning Java was ill-advised. I was working
with the Atmel AVR family and decided to do a simple assembler/simulator.
Bit twiddling isn't Java's forte.

> Python -- remarkably small language core, yet great extensibility from
> the well-chosen features in that core.

While I've used Python for small projects for years I've only really dug
into in the last year or so. I'm impressed. I'm enough of a nerd to really
appreciate the stack machine that runs the byte code, but then I do have
Forth in my background.

Some of my education like when a typo inadvertently turned a list
comprehension into a generator. Interesting critters.

> C++ -- very powerful, but way too complex in order to keep things
> “efficient”.

I haven't kept up with it but there were a lot of pitfalls in its early
days. Stroustrup said something like 'C++ tries to prevent you from
shooting yourself in the foot but if you do you blow your whole leg off.'

> PHP -- just sad.

It was okay for what it originally was meant for -- Personal Home Pages.
Some things take on a life of their own like the Beginners' All-purpose
Symbolic Instruction Code.