Article <lc47pgFlivoU4@mid.individual.net>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<lc47pgFlivoU4@mid.individual.net>

From: Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk>
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Subject: Re: Turn your device completely off once a week as per advice from
 the NSA today
Date: Sun, 2 Jun 2024 22:50:36 +0100
 <lc17epF5jpkU1@mid.individual.net> <86jzj8o4o6.fsf@example.com>
 <v3gagu$30seo$1@dont-email.me> <v3h0ed$37qte$1@dont-email.me>
 <d5120722-741d-aa61-a5af-c1dc0d35e0b5@invalid.nospam>
 <v3ic06$3f8rs$1@dont-email.me>

Peter wrote:

> Both Google's and Apple's latest phones don't allow you to turn them off
> for real. The iPhones and the latest Pixels are still running Google's and
> Apple's tracking activities even when you think you've turned them off.

Now, I don't claim to know or care much about Apple products, but I
think airtags are relatively popular?  Because of that, Google were
/bound/ to want to match that feature, hence the [very] new
functionality to findmydevice.

Yes, in a limited sense certain parts of your phone may never be "off",
I suspect we don't know yet whether disabling the findmydevice feature
*does* allow it to be really off.

Some people were paranoid about the covid tracking feature, but you
could turn it off, or not install the app, and I don't remember any
actual issue with it in the end?