Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<lce5siFdnsrU1@mid.individual.net>

From: Robin Miller <robin.miller@invalid.invalid>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: Selected programming for June 5-7, 2024
Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2024 12:19:25 -0400

Ian J. Ball wrote:
> On 6/5/24 9:15 PM, Robin Miller wrote:
>

>>          Wednesday, June 5
>>

>>      Streaming:
>>

>> Under Paris [Sous la Seine]       (movie)        (3:01 am, Netflix)
>>
>> In order to save Paris from an international bloodbath, a grieving
>> scientist is forced to face her tragic past when a giant shark appears
>> in the Seine. French film; 1h 41m.
>>
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnCefPQIH98
>>
>> https://www.netflix.com/title/81210788
>>
>> https://www.netflix.com/tudum/articles/under-paris-release-date-news
>>
>> https://www.imdb.com/title/tt13964390/
>
> Oh, Good Lord!! (And starring no one you've ever heard of!)

And speaking of the Seine (from today's Yahoo Sports):

The Paris Olympics begin in 50 days, but questions persist about whether
the heavily-polluted River Seine will be ready for its close-up, Jeff
writes.

Where things stand: The Seine will host the Opening Ceremony, with each
nation's delegation being ferried down the river. It will also host the
marathon swim and triathlon — a bold endeavor considering Parisians
haven't been able to swim in the polluted waters since 1923.

     Swimming test events were canceled last summer due to water quality
concerns, and similar levels of contamination were reported in April by
a French environmental group, which said that "pollution of fecal
origin" was higher than permitted.

     But officials are optimistic that the Seine will be ready now that
the river's massive cleanup project is underway. "We are on time," Paris
regional prefect Marc Guillaume told AP. "The beginning of the Games
will coincide with water quality allowing competition."

Solving a century-old problem: The city spent $1.5 billion to update its
antiquated sewage system. The key facility: a massive underground basin
designed to collect excess, bacteria-laden rainwater that would
otherwise flow into the Seine. The basin, located nearly 100 feet
beneath Paris' Austerlitz train station, can hold 20 Olympic-sized
swimming pools worth of water.

Testing the waters: Paris mayor Anne Hidalgo is so confident in the
project that she's promised to swim in the river ahead of the Olympics
at an event she's dubbed "the big dive," possibly alongside French
president Emmanuel Macron and IOC president Thomas Bach.

     Not everyone shares Hidalgo's confidence. British marathon swimmers
will be vaccinated for hepatitis A and typhoid, and they'll be "on
antibiotics after the race, regardless of what the water samples show,"
one swimmer told The Independent.

     The water will be tested each morning during the Olympics. If
pollution levels are too high, events may be delayed. And if such levels
persist, one possible outcome includes canceling the swimming portion of
the triathlon, thus turning it into a duathlon.

In related news… "Under Paris," a new movie about a giant killer shark
that emerges in the Seine and begins preying on Olympic swimmers, is now
streaming on Netflix.

--Robin

(catch that last paragraph)