Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<lcfgjsFjj5kU1@mid.individual.net>

From: rbowman <bowman@montana.com>
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: Workstation Aesthetics
Date: 7 Jun 2024 04:28:44 GMT
	<v3e70o$2kc2t$2@dont-email.me> <kPC6O.21333$Dsz1.8213@fx14.iad>
	<v3ghfn$31rjc$3@dont-email.me>
	<665c66eb$0$3738365$882e4bbb@reader.netnews.com>
	<v3j58g$3j4v3$4@dont-email.me> <v3j9ha$3fm08$1@dont-email.me>
	<v3jvdi$3qduu$12@dont-email.me> <v3k8cn$3fm08$3@dont-email.me>
	<v3mdu0$arho$2@dont-email.me> <v3n0vq$3iat$4@dont-email.me>
	<v3o8dp$kfrm$8@dont-email.me>
	<6660a10b$0$3738362$882e4bbb@reader.netnews.com>
	<88d26jhbvmid8cojpcactfjfot6idbbdf6@4ax.com>
	<6661d2c4$0$3738367$882e4bbb@reader.netnews.com>
	<lcen3eFfscuU5@mid.individual.net>
	<66627fb1$0$3747329$882e4bbb@reader.netnews.com>

On Thu, 6 Jun 2024 23:34:15 -0400, DFS wrote:

SQLiteStudio   GPL

I use DBeaver Community which is an Apache license. It does SQLite and a
lot more.

https://dbeaver.io/about/

Notepad++      GPL

I use gVim or VS Code depending. Bram Moolenaar, who died last year,
suggested a donation to ICCF Holland in Uganda. The Code license is not
GPL.

Office 2003    MS EULA.

For the very little office type stuff I do LibreOffice is fine. It's MPL.

PyQt 5         GPL

As I've discussed I use Pysode6 which is LGPL. The refusal of Riverbank to
use LGPL rather than GPL is the reason there is a PySide6.

MicroPython and Circuitpython are MIT. I have Thonny installed but don't
use it since I can do what I want with a VS Code plugin. The same for
Arduino Studio. I don't think either of those even mention a license.

Prior to Stallman most of what would be considered FOSS was tossed out as
is, where is. Stallman had a point about licenses in a legalistic world
but today the pendulum has swung back to non-GPL licenses.