Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<lcjvk1F9n7aU1@mid.individual.net>

From: rbowman <bowman@montana.com>
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: More Funny Stuff From The Joke Python
Date: 8 Jun 2024 21:09:22 GMT

On Sat, 08 Jun 2024 15:02:53 -0400, Joel wrote:

> rbowman <bowman@montana.com> wrote:
>
>>> Free hint:  don't use something you're not into using.  What little
>>> I've seen of Python seemed like a child's toy, but guess what, I
>>> didn't explore further.  Relax, smoke a doobie, dude.
>>
>>You should dig a little deeper.
>

> To do what?

I have no idea what you want to do with a computer. Do you do data
analysis? Python with pandas, numpy, and related modules is overtaking R
in that field. The python implementations are usually faster than R which
says something about R's lack of performance.

Machine learning? PyTorch and TensorFlow offer two approaches. Create a
desktop GUI applcation? I prefer Pyside6, which is a Qt binding, but there
are other alternatives including Tkinter.  Web application? Django, Flask,
and FastAPI offer different approaches and degrees of opinionation. Work
with microcontrollers using the RP2040 chip. MicroPython and CircuitPython
make rapid development possible.  Like comics? I have a script that gets
the ones I'm interested in from gocomics.  Music? I've got one that
queries the itunes data base for artist or song information. Databases?
Pick your poison.

So, what do you want to do? Of course you can do all of the above with C,
C++, or another language but you may be writing more code and doing more
debugging. If the Python prototype is too slow you can rewrite it. For
example I did the itunes thing in both Python and C#.NET to test the .NET
SDK on Linux.