Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<lco7poFtcpjU1@mid.dfncis.de>

From: Hendrik van Hees <hees@itp.uni-frankfurt.de>
Newsgroups: sci.physics.research
Subject: Re: Equivalence principle
Date: 10 Jun 2024 12:10:37 GMT

Or to put it simpler. In a local inertial reference frame, realized by a
point-like non-rotating body in free fall, you observe (e.g., by using
pointlike test particles) only the "true gravitational forces", i.e.,
the tidal forces.

If you sit on the surface of a planet, you are not in free fall, because
there are (electromagnetic) forces keeping you there.

That's why the accelerometer of your smart phone at rest on Earth shows
an acceleration of 9.81 m/s^2, because it measures accelerations
relative to a local inertial frame of reference! See, e.g.,

https://physlab.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/primer_smartphones.pdf

--
Hendrik van Hees
Goethe University (Institute for Theoretical Physics)