Article <lcvg13F1s6mU1@mid.individual.net>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<lcvg13F1s6mU1@mid.individual.net>

From: Athel Cornish-Bowden <me@yahoo.com>
Newsgroups: sci.lang
Subject: Re: (MS Word) ".doc" files are (sometimes?) unsafe to share
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2024 07:56:51 +0200

On 2024-06-13 04:14:12 +0000, Peter Moylan said:

> On 13/06/24 13:36, Steve Hayes wrote:
>
>> I send all emails in plain text, and if formatting is needed, I send
>> it as a faile attachment.

That's essentially what I do.

> I recently had to send a document to my uncle and a cousin, so I
> converted it to PDF first. It turned out that their mail provider (the
> same provider in both cases) rejected mail with a PDF attachment. I'm
> going to have to send it by snail mail.
>
> (Or perhaps it was rejected because my message was in plain text, with
> no HTML. I still haven't tracked down the precise cause.)
>
> Some mail providers are becoming tougher and tougher about rejecting
> mail for obscure reasons. (And sometimes they don't even tell the sender
> that the attempt failed.) Maybe we'll all have to go back to snail mail.

A few days ago I had a message rejected because it exceeded the size
limit. However, they didn't think it helpful to say what the limit was.
A day or two later a message with a 13 megabyte attachment was rejected
(by the same mail server) but they didn't bother to tell me at all; it
just didn't arrive.

Other recent messages didn't because (probably) some servers don't like
messages with more than some limit (3?) of recipients. Again, they
don't bother to tell you that.

A few years ago I had a message to rejected by mail system of the
University of Chile because the subject line contained "Hi". Hi? No,
but the subject line was something like "Forthcoming visit to Chile",
and "Chile" contains the string "hi".

Sorry, this message says nothing relevant to sci.lang, but then neither
did any of the other contributions to this thread (started by someone
who never has anything relevant to say).
--
Athel -- French and British, living in Marseilles for 37 years; mainly
in England until 1987.